Book this course
To register your interest in this course, please contact us to find out potential dates and locations.
"Fantastic course, will definatley recommend to collegues. Great location, quality instruction and information. Especially appreciated the exercises to reinforce the learning."
This 4-day course will provide essential understanding of the seismic method to technical and technical support personnel who come into contact with seismic during their work. The instruction is pitched at an ‘awareness level’, so that participants can obtain an understanding of key concepts, applications and terminology surrounding each seismic technique. The knowledge gained will be sufficient to intelligently converse and participate in discussions with geophysicists. The course is non-mathematical in style, focusing instead on key physical concepts and principles and includes instruction, demonstrations, exercises and real data examples.
You will learn:
- what hydrocarbons look like on seismic
- what is the thinnest reservoir that can be resolved on seismic
- if seismic can be used to predict porosity and permeability
- under which circumstances hydrocarbon contacts are visible
- what seismic tells us about reservoir geometry and lithology
- how net pay can be determined from seismic
- why seismic can miss smaller scale faults and barriers
- why it is difficult to image around salt
- what types of seismic interpretation pitfalls exist
- why seismic prognoses sometimes spectacularly fail
Who should attend?
This course provides am excellent overview of the seismic method for reservoir, petroleum and drilling engineers, geologists, technical and computer staff and asset managers. Novice geophysicists will also benefit from the practical understanding of seismic afforded by this course.